In this post we are sharing "17 Most Interesting Facts About India", but the number of Interesting facts doesn't ends here. There are numerous other interesting facts about India as well, but here we have chosen only 17 of them, if you want to know more, kindly subscribe to our newsletters, or comment on this blog post and we will add more "Interesting Facts About India". Let's start the list:
- The Name "India" is derived from the River Indus which runs through the Indus Valley, which was the home of the early settlers - The Aryans. The Aryans referred River Indus as Sindhu, and the Persian invaders converted it into Hindu, thus the name "Hindustan" originated, which means "the Land Of The Hindus".
- The Indus Valley Civilization is at least 8,000 years old, taking root well before the Egyptian (7000BC to 3000BC) and Mesopotamian (6500BC to 3100BC) civilizations.
- World's 4 religions were born in India - Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikhism, and Jainism.
- India never invaded any country in its 100000 years old history.
- The Art of Navigation of developed in Indus Valley over 6000 years ago.
- Before 17th century, India was the richest country in the World, and referred as "The Golden Bird". It was the wealth of India, which attracted Christopher Columbus, and when he was looking for a sea route to India, he discovered America by Mistake.
- The Yoga was developed by the Indus-Sarasvati civilization in India over 5,000 years ago. Yoga means 'Union', between the soul and the God.
- Ayurveda a natural system of medicine, was originated in India more than 3,000 years ago by Charaka - the Father of the Medicine.
- Chess was invented in India around the 8th century.
- Algebra, Trigonometry, Calculus Studies, and the Decimal System were originated in India.
- Built around 10004 AD to 1009 AD, the Brihadeswara Temple in Tanjavur, Tamil Nadu, is the World's first temple made of single 80-tonne piece of granite.
- India is the largest democracy in the world, the second largest in population, and the 7th largest country in the World with a total area of 3,287,263 square kilometres.
- Takshila also referred as the Nalanda University in Bihar, was established in 700 BC, taking it as the World's First Residential University, and among the greatest centres of learning in the ancient world. In Nalanda University, there were more than 10,000 students from around the world used to study.
- The value of "Pi" was first calculated by the Indian Mathematician Budhayana in 6th century.
- The exact time the Earth takes to orbit the Sun to 9 decimal places (365.258756484 days), was first calculated by Bhaskaracharya - the famous Indian Mathematician.
- Indian classical dance is the embodiment of a whole range of expressions, which include fantasy and yogic discipline, be it Kathak, Kuchipudi, Bharatnatyam, Manipuri, or Odissi.
- Varanasi also refers as Kashi, is among the oldest continuously inhabited cities in the world, dating back to 11th century B.C.
"Varanasi is older than history, older than tradition, older even than legend & look twice as old as all of them put together" - Mark Twain.
To learn more about India, we suggest you to visit India.
Leave a Comment :